Detached maya windows have an annoying habit of getting lost when switching from a multi-monitor window to a single monitor setup!!! (or just in general, when they get lost under other application windows or the start bar >.<)
All hope is not lost however, here are two solutions to the problem:
- Close maya and delete the window preferences file (annoying)
- This file is call windowPrefs.mel, and is located in your default “prefs” folder – This file basically stores the list of the last locations of the default maya windows. It gets updated when maya exits.
- Run this maya script I cobbled together (less annoying)
- Download Link: https://github.com/shanemarks/ResetMayaWindows/blob/master/reset_maya_windows.py
- Usage: Copy the script into the script editor and hit run, alternatively, drag it up to the shelf icon to keep it as a shortcut
- How it works: It closes all open windows and then runs the cmds.WindowPref() function, setting a new location for each of the main panels